Barcelona president Joan Laporta has indicated his club have given up on signing Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund in the summer transfer window.
Haaland is likely to leave his current club at the end of the season, with a number of European clubs starting to fight over the Norwegian bomber’s signature.
The Catalan club have been linked with a move for Haaland since the start of the season, with Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez admitting last week he flew to Germany to meet the player in person.
Read also: Xavi: Aubameyang a gift that fell from the sky for Barcelona
However, Laporta, now, says he is pessimistic his club can bring the 21-year-old player to Camp Nou.
“Even if we had the best economic situation, there were operations that we wouldn’t carry out,” Laporta told Eport3, quoted from Marca, Wednesday (16/3).
“(Mateu) Alemany, Jordi (Cruyff) and the technical secretary are working to improve the team. We want to carry out operations, but some are difficult,” Laporta added.
“We have to save ourselves. We have corrected the situation, but we have to finish recovering the economic situation.”
“We will not make deals that can harm this institution,” he stressed.
According to the Daily Mail, Haaland has agreed a deal to move to Manchester City this summer. The English club is ready to redeem the player’s release clause which reaches 75 million euros (around Rp1.17 trillion).
City also had to spend more money on the player’s agent commission, Mino Raiola.
Overall, City must spend 120 million euros (about Rp1.87 trillion) to complete the transfer of Haaland. (Ant/OL-1)