Dortmund looking for a replacement for Haller who was absent for long after testicular cancer surgery


Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke admits his team may have to find a replacement for Sebastien Haller, who has had a long break after testicular cancer surgery and is due to undergo chemotherapy in the next few months.

According to Watzke, Dortmund cannot put the burden of attack solely on the shoulders of teenage striker Youssoufa Moukoko considering the new Bundesliga season will roll, this weekend.

“It seems clear that he will be out for a relatively long time and putting the burden on Youssoufa Moukoko’s shoulders alone is too much,” Watzke told ARD’s Sportschau program on Wednesday (3/8).

Read also: Testicular Tumor Diagnosed, Haller Leaves Dortmund Training Center

“So, I think, we will do something on a personal level. Even though the best solution is also difficult because the options in the transfer market are also not abundant,” he added.

Haller joined Dortmund last month as a step to replace Erling Haaland who moved to the English Premier League to join Manchester City.

However, less than two weeks after arriving, during a session at Dortmund’s training camp, Haller was found to have a malignant testicular tumor.

The Ivory Coast striker underwent surgery at the end of July and was required to undergo chemotherapy so he was sidelined for an indefinite period.

“Ideally something should happen in the next 8-10 days,” Watzke said of a potential Dortmund move.

Dortmund is scheduled to start the 2022-23 Bundesliga by hosting Bayer Leverkusen at Signal Iduna Park, Saturday (6/8). They will also take part in the Champions League this season. (Ant/OL-1)